Folk School Fall Festival 2013


Earlier this week the weather forecast predicted a 50% chance of raining out the two-day fall festival.  Each day the percent changed so I quit watching, knowing that I would be attending, rain or shine.

the open barn where Friday night concerts are held

 inside the barn
Different groups performed each hour from 10-4 both days.
Friday evening as vendors were setting up their tents, Cliff and I attended The Lone Mountain Band performance in the Keith House.  We saw their performance last year at the Brasstown Community Center and enjoyed their concert.  Not only did they entertain the audience with bluegrass banjo, guitar, mandolin, and bass fiddle strumming, but they also charmed us with humor and yoyo demonstrations.  Never a dull moment.
demonstration of wood turning on the workshop porch
 handmade Christmas dolls and life-size figures
 
food vendors
 
 more food vendors
There were twelve different food vendors this year.  Saturday I ate a Thai wrap and a fried apple pie.  We always get the fried apple pies, best we've ever tasted.  Cliff had a meatball Parmesan sub and, of course, the pie.  As we were leaving we bought a bag of kettle corn.  Sunday we returned to the festival just because the weather was so comfortable, so delightful, too nice to stay home, and the crowd wasn't as thick as Saturday's.  We were able to see more crafts and enjoy the pace and I needed to try some different foods.  Sunday I had the mountain woman stew ( I renamed it.  It was advertised as mountain man stew.) made with wild boar and venison, white beans, cabbage.  Delicious!  We had to buy the curly fries because my friend, Francis,  Candy Mountain Farms owner, was working that tent.  I found the homemade fudge vendor and she talked me into purchasing a small piece for each of us and I must confess, we bought another fried pie, but split it this time.  Our taste buds must have thought they were in heaven because we don't normally eat like this, but it was half the fun of going to a festival.  

transportation to your vehicle
This was a unique craft.  The vendor took a book making class offered at the school and made journals from vintage books and papers.
I chose this one because of the musical notations she included in the pages and the vintage pages containing elementary school stories.
She included blank pages for journaling.  This may be a place where I write about my childhood for the grandchildren to read. 
Smoke-fired handbuilt pottery from "Earth Vessels" by Malti now sits on my fireplace mantel.
 
We so look forward to this festival each fall.  Scroll down to see Cliff in the festival announcement.
 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog