In yoga practice we honor our bodies by listening to them.  Movements are deliberate, mindful, and with intention.  Sometimes joints and muscles tell us to back off slowly.  Today with this "polar vortex" that Jim Cantore keeps talking about, my body is telling me to eat chocolate cake with lots of frosting.  Last night I made a thick red lentil soup, threw pieces of chicken in it, and ladled it over a bowl of Basmati rice and had hot honey corn bread muffins.  That was very satisfying.  Tonight will be warmed up leftover chicken soup, more honey corn muffins, and my father's favorite "beat-in-the-pan" chocolate cake.  I haven't really minded the cold snap we're in right now because this gives me time to catch up on inside activities that I won't do when the spring weather beckons me outside.  It's a wonderful time to bake breads and ginger cookies, sip warm chai tea, and dig through old recipe books that have collected dust.   Earlier today I sat with a cup of tea sweetened with raw buckwheat honey and dug out my mother's Hershey's 1934 Cookbook full of old-fashioned hints and recipes for everything chocolate made from scratch.  Right now everything chocolate appeals to me. I had never tasted buckwheat honey, but since I enjoy shaking up the taste buds, sweetened my tea with a large spoonful.  Buckwheat honey tastes and smells like horse manure, not that I've tasted horse manure.  Maybe I can conceal it in one of my chocolate recipes. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog