I may repeat things I've already posted.  It's not due to age. I'm too lazy to go back and  reread what I blogged previously.  

I've joined the Murphy Health and Fitness gym that's located right across from Konhete Park where I walk so I can swim now too.  I didn't realize how much I missed being in the water.  The other gym, Erlanger Fit Plus membership runs out in September.  Cliff and I belonged to it since moving here and it has a great rehab program that both of us have used at different times.  One time I asked a therapist about knee discomfort/pain and he showed me ways to strengthen quads and leg muscles to prevent knee weakness.  Cliff did PT a few times for back discomfort due to belly pulling on his back muscles.  After the PT a patient get a free month at the gym.  We did Zumba and yoga classes together.  But now I need to swim.  Pool is heated when the temperatures cool down.   Our mornings have been lovely.  On the mountain it's been ranging from 59 to 63 with slow warm ups during the days for a few weeks.  I can do my two mile Konehete walk early and get home for breakfast.  Yesterday I walked in the morning and felt like swimming at 4.  I get a low energy slump around 4 and found swimming invigorates me.  Today I stayed home all day.  Had a hankering for zucchini bread. Didn't even get the mail.  I did a half hour weed whacking then made the zucchini bread to go with my  summer corn chowder.  Zucchini and fresh white sweet corn from Saturday's farmers market. Soup is made with rice milk and is easy on the digestion during warm summer days.  


My gardens are done, finished, kaputt!  I don't even go down the hill to look at them.  

Bunny is still around.  He's a big one.  He should be with all the food he's been eating around here.  Today I found an old piece of sprouted grain bread that was petrified and threw it over the back rail.  While I was enjoying my lunch on the back porch I heard a loud crunchy noise, looked over the rail and bunny was nibbling the hard bread.  At 7:15 this morning I started changing the hummingbird feeders with clean ones.  Four-day old feeders had backwash and looked gnarly.  I always do a panoramic scan no matter what time of day before I descend the steps.  Did two scans slowly because it was early and didn't want to surprise deer or anything else.  Nothing in sight.  Hung the new clean feeder out front and turned to walk up the steps to the kitchen and there was my large black bear looking at me through the fence.

We were eye to eye.  I guarantee my eyes were larger than his! By the time I stepped to to the porch deck, he was gone.  Neither one of us expected to see the other.  I called Charlie because he's also an early riser and goes out with his little dog.  He was outside.  Put his dog in the house and stood quietly watching.  He called me back a few minutes later to say the bear was walking the outer edge of the woods across from him, went through Sandy Durrett's yard, behind her shed and into the woods. I wear a whistle now anytime I'm off the porch.  Louise suggested I buy an ear-piercing loud whistle.  The bear really is beautiful.  I'm not afraid of him but I do respect him so this is his territory so I am careful.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog