Snow showers predicted later today.  We got  about 1.5 inches of rain yesterday.  Standing on the back porch, I can hear the creek rushing down in the hollow and if we go out today we'll see the cascading falls on Boulder Creek Rd.  Yesterday there was so much commotion at the bird feeders, Cliff had to do air traffic control.  This morning forty-pound black crows are walking up and down the driveway as if on patrol and squirrels are foraging under decaying leaves for discarded seed and stored acorns.  I filled the feeders this morning at 7 AM and put out two suet-filled holders.  It's interesting to observe the animals during a cold snap or a front moving through.  Days ago Cliff and I caught a glimpse of at least a half-dozen deer fleeing from our back woods, across Clay Durrett Rd and into the woods across the road from our house.  Until recently, we've only seen 3 or 4, at the most, grazing together along the edge of the woods or in my front garden.  Wild animal sightings and reports from neighbors are up this year.  Black bear visits on upper Boulder Creek Rd. are more frequent and mother with babies have been sighted out on the 4-lane.  The other morning, I was fortunate enough to catch sight of a young buck and three doe grazing in the woods across from my kitchen window.  Year to year is different.  We haven't seen the wild turkeys lately but we're enjoying the increased deer population.

Cliff is stoking up the new wood stove as I write.  The room is so thick with smoke that I may have to evacuate and join the crows.  Wood and stove have absorbed too much moisture with all the recent rain ......cough.....cough....and it's difficult for the firefighter to draw a draft.   gag! choke!

  My kitchen island work area is full of watercolor tubes, paintbrushes, and ideas for Christmas cards.  As an effort to get out of my comfort zone, I'm trying some folk art styles.  After all, I'm living in the folk community. 

When I scanned this painting, the yellows scanned orange so I may have to find the instruction book and do some reading.  Folk art is a fun art, much more relaxed and as whimsical as the artist chooses.  Stay tuned for weather updates.........................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog