After spending that afternoon with the kids digging potatoes in Mr. Mello's garden, I was so enthused and energized that I checked my potato plants the next morning after we arrived home.  He had set his potatoes on March 20 as I had.  I thought they needed a few more weeks, but after seeing what he dug I knew some of ours would be mature enough to dig up.  The garden has about 100 plants and Friday I brought about ten pounds to the house, averaging around one pound per plant.  The Yukon Gold and redskins were the first ones ready and  Kennebecks will be mature late July.  There are still a few more curly red lettuce plants growing in a shady area.  Little bugs share the Swiss chard and kale with me.  I leave the eaten leaves for the insects and check the newer ones daily, cutting them early in the morning before anything starts chewing holes. Last night the deer and bunnies enjoyed a lovely meal of cucumber and bean leaves and a few carrot tops.  This morning I fertilized the tomatoes, thinned the beets and brought the greens in to saute later.
summer squash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog