This time of year, I welcome the time change.  We're situated about 1.5+ hours from the Central Time Zone so at this time of year, we weren't seeing a glimpse of morning sky until after 7:30 am.  Very difficult for me, being an early riser, to feel the day begin.  I don't mind cocooning in the early evening when the sun slides behind the mountains in the west.  This morning's sunrise blended brilliant cadmium orange and quinacridone reds throughout the eastern sky for just a shot time.  I was lucky to have observed this wondrous sight for it changed within minutes as the sun rose from behind the hills and greeted me through the trees.  My geraniums still sleep out on the porch all night even with the temperatures dipping into the 30's.  No threats of a frost or freeze yet but it won't be long before I tuck them in the garage for the winter.

  After shaking the summer dust off the warm-weather curtains, washing and line drying them, the curtains have been neatly folded and tucked in the blanket chest until April 1st.  Even if we have a freak snow storm on that date, the lightweight curtains go back up.  That's my first day of spring.  Lined cold-weather drapes already give the feel of cozier evenings when drawn closed at dark.  This year I hung the guest bedroom drapes in the dining room, (which surprisingly we like) and hung another older pair of drapes in the guest room.  We're ready for warm soup suppers and 10-grain breads.  I joined our local CSA and received the first fresh vegetable box last Wednesday.  Candy Mountain Farms had room for us on their list so we'll get November and December deliveries.  Wednesday is our pick up day which works out perfectly.  We hit the gym in the morning, eat at the Chop House in town, and can walk to Gallery 26 to pick up our box of goodies.   Each weekly box is like Christmas.  I never know what I will find.  Last week we had an eating pumpkin, bok choy, fresh eggs, lots of tomatoes, sweet potatoes, variety of colored peppers, and more.  What we don't eat, I freeze.  Tomorrow will be our 2nd pick-up and I'll research some new recipes according to what we get.
On the patio of Murphy's Chop House, our favorite downtown restaurant.  I've been doing step aerobics with the chef's wife at PARC gym but didn't know she was his wife.  She's a riot and has us in stitches.  Yesterday when we stopped in for lunch and I saw her wiping off tables and "acting" like a hostess seating people, she came to our table, gave me a hug and I told her I didn't recognize her at first with her clothes on.  Then I asked her how long she had been working at the Chop House and she told me she owned it!  October is extremely busy with all the leaf peepers so she comes in and helps out.  The restaurant offers a $6.99 lunch special menu, includes drinks, new soups daily, and with five lunch purchases, you get a FREE lunch worth up to $9.95.  Why eat anywhere else!?

Cliff's mother was transported to a rehab facility in Worcester yesterday evening.  She was upbeat and excited about starting her PT.  When he spoke with her yesterday, she sounded stable.  Now we wait to see how she reacts to the Rx, how the therapy progresses, and what this means as far as where she can reside next.  We'd like her to be in a facility near us so we could see her daily, bring her here to the house occasionally, and take her for rides, etc., but she swore years ago she would never leave Clinton.  It's day by day for now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog