Same ol' stuff, different day.  Not complaining.  I don't need drama.  Our weather has been so mild..... rainy, misty, drizzly too many days in a row but no A/C or heat needed.  Sun made an appearance between passing clouds pushing the temperature to 79 this afternoon.  I'm thrilled to still be sitting out on the porch most afternoons.  Ten-day forecast shows mostly mild temperatures and (ugh!) more rainy days.  The window box geraniums are still showing off eight large red flowers. 

We've been getting our CSA (community supported agriculture) bag full of fresh farm produce every Tuesday.  As soon as I get home and lay the variety of foods out on the counter, I bring up images on the computer to identify some of the vegetables my farmer has included for the week.  Frances is about 5' 4", thin with signs of arthritis in her feet and hands.  She's probably about ten years younger than I am and runs Candy Mountain Farms.  Besides doing a spring and fall CSA of about forty customers, she and her husband, Stephen,  teach gardening classes at the John Campbell Folk School a couple weeks a year, and are weekly produce vendors at our farmers markets.  This past week I found a fennel bulb and a couple of funny-looking turnips in the bag. My taste buds quiver at the thought of turnips but being a good sport, I searched for a recipe that included potatoes, turnips (ugh) and sliced fennel.   We won't do that recipe again.  Being in the CSA for fall forces me to research and try new recipes, which I love to do.  Cliff is a good sport and before a  meal asks what he's eating and how is it good for him. We've had winter squashes, garlic, sweet and white potatoes, bok choy, mustard greens, celery, Japanese turnips, which are delicious sliced raw in a salad.  It's an epicurious adventure.  Tonight's meal is recognizable, slow-cooker chicken with onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and thyme.  I hear a sigh of relief from his recliner.

Comments

Karen Swain said…
Love turnips and rutabaga, hate parsnips!

Popular posts from this blog