As I've said before, I love mornings. I love seeing the first hint of light in the eastern sky. I love greeting the morning even when it's crisp. Cardinals are the first to visit the feeders at this early hour. They sit regally and with the first hint of morning light, their bright red feathers reveal who they are. As the sky lightens I scan the front garden and road hoping to catch a glimpse of deer grazing or other animals passing. Tuesday morning the front garden seemed unusually quiet, no birds coming to the feeder or to the suet when I realized there was no feeder or suet. Upon inspection I found the suet basket bent and ripped wide open laying empty on the ground, the wire that held the squirrel-proof feeder broken and hanging and the feeder nowhere insight. The feeders in the woods that I can see from my sewing room had been attacked also. I found one feeder down in the woods but the other had been carried off. The double hook feeder pole snapped off at the top. A few neighbors reported their dogs had been acting strange and others found the same destruction of their feeders. I read that there is a meager acorn supply this year so bears are scrounging for food. So we're back to bringing in our feeders nightly, even the one hanging off the back porch. It is nice to see my woodpeckers back, more nuthatches and many of the birds from up north that winter here. Last night was our coldest so far, 23 at 7 am. Should reach high 50's and sunshine.
Popular posts from this blog
We haven't had any rain in weeks and the next ten days show no rain in sight. Trees usually are bursting with fresh green leaves by this time but not leaves sprouting yet. I haven't planted any seeds in the big garden because it'll be too much work to keep that garden watered. I thought about building a raised garden to put by the porch stairs but that would mean power saws so that was out. I found that Lowe's had a 2' X 4' cedar planter kit in a box that I could assemble myself. I started assembling it on the porch with the intent of carrying it down to where I thought it would be best but plans changed. It's a tool-free frame assembly kit where all the parts are computer-driven cut and fit together without fastening. The instructions are the kind I like......no reading to confuse me, just pictures. After I assembled the whole bed, sides slats and all, it was too heavy for me and because it wasn't fast...
Deer helping me trim the tired summer plants. This is bunny's trademark. With seasonal changes happening animal diets have changed. Plants that have survived deer and bunny all summer are now their favorite foods. Lynn, who lives at the top of Clay Durrett next to Libby, has her cousin visiting for a few weeks from Lisbon, Portugal. He moved there a few years ago and absolutely loves living in Europe. The four of us have been eating out Friday nights. Steve is a hoot with a great sense of humor so he and I really hit it off together. He's a combination of Tommy Vanzini and Lance Hayes from my male friends back in Jr High and High school. So enjoyable to laugh at life again. He'll return to Lisbon later this week. Today TWC predicted only an 18% chance of rain. About an hour ago while talking to my sister on the phone it started pouring and so far the weather station console reported "raini...
Comments