As I've said before, I love mornings.  I love seeing the first hint of light in the eastern sky.  I love greeting the morning even when it's crisp.  Cardinals are the first to visit the feeders at this early hour.  They sit regally and with the first hint of morning light, their bright red feathers reveal who they are.  As the sky lightens I scan the front garden and road hoping to catch a glimpse of deer grazing or other animals passing.  Tuesday morning the front garden seemed unusually quiet, no birds coming to the feeder or to the suet when I realized there was no feeder or suet.  Upon inspection I found the suet basket bent and ripped wide open laying empty on the ground, the wire that held the squirrel-proof feeder broken and hanging and the feeder nowhere insight.  The feeders in the woods that I can see from my sewing room had been attacked also.  I found one feeder down in the woods but the other had been carried off.  The double hook feeder pole snapped off at the top.  A few neighbors reported their dogs had been acting strange and others found the same destruction of their feeders.  I read that there is a meager acorn supply this year so bears are scrounging for food.  So we're back to bringing in our feeders nightly, even the one hanging off the back porch.  It is nice to see my woodpeckers back, more nuthatches and many of the birds from up north that winter here. Last night was our coldest so far, 23 at 7 am.  Should reach high 50's and sunshine. 

Comments

Mike said…
I had a bear a while back too. One bird feeder on the ground and the other had the bottom torn off.

Popular posts from this blog