Every couple of months our neighbors up the hill at the top of the road, Janice and Ernie, open their house for a neighborhood gathering.  Janice sends a group text with the date and the time is always 5:30.  Anyone wishing to attend replies back with the dish they will be bringing.  Weather permitting, people gather outside on her comfy porch, around the dining table, and in the living room.  Sometimes it's a small intimate group but this Tuesday about sixteen neighbors gathered at their  home. I decided to bake a cauliflower/carrot dish with Parmesan cheese melted on top and a gluten-free dessert that I could eat.  There's always two or three delicious desserts on her counter.  I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies frosted with cream cheese/confectioners sugar icing.

  The recipe called for 1/2 can pumpkin puree.  The remaining puree stored in the refrigerator.  Meat choices were hot dogs, sausages, and hamburgers along with all the other dishes neighbors brought.  All desserts, including the pumpkin cookies were devoured by the end of the evening. Today I remembered the container of pumpkin puree and decided to make our favorite pumpkin mochi loaf using up the rest of the puree.  That recipe calls for only two tablespoons of canned light coconut milk.  So I used up the pumpkin puree to now be left with an open can of coconut milk minus two tablespoons.  I also made a batch of applesauce with all the leftover apples sitting around.  I have a recipe for either sweet potato soup or squash soup that will use up the rest of the coconut milk.  Maybe I'll make a rice pudding or a bread pudding.  I just need to be sure I'm not opening anymore cans that need to be used up.

My sister and brother-in-law eat lots of broccoli rabe.  It's a recommended heart healthy vegetable but I had never prepared it until she told me about it. 
The recipe I found and love is made with garlic, Parmesan cheese, and lemon.  It's easy and delicious and is something that Cliff will eat.

Ooops..........missing the sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog