There is an eerie stillness in the air this morning. No bird songs. Not even a flicker of movement in the trees. Haven't seen a bird at a feeder or sitting on a branch. No sign of our two chipmunks. Each morning I scatter a small handful of seeds containing various kinds of nuts on the back porch. Within minutes chippy pouches as many as she/he can until the cheeks are lumpy then scurries home to deposit them in storage. This morning the seeds remain on the porch. We're hoping a snake or other predator hasn't eaten our chipmunks. The only sound and sight is the three hummingbirds that never cease feeding and fighting, even during a heavy rain. It's said that animals sense approaching storms. TS Ida is a huge storm now and we're under flash flood warnings again for Tuesday and Wednesday. At 9:45 the temperature is 70 degrees with a 97% humidity. Cliff has his chemo appointment this morning at 10:45. I bring a book, a magazine, my iPad and sneakers so I can vary what I feel like doing when I wait for him to come out.
Popular posts from this blog
We haven't had any rain in weeks and the next ten days show no rain in sight. Trees usually are bursting with fresh green leaves by this time but not leaves sprouting yet. I haven't planted any seeds in the big garden because it'll be too much work to keep that garden watered. I thought about building a raised garden to put by the porch stairs but that would mean power saws so that was out. I found that Lowe's had a 2' X 4' cedar planter kit in a box that I could assemble myself. I started assembling it on the porch with the intent of carrying it down to where I thought it would be best but plans changed. It's a tool-free frame assembly kit where all the parts are computer-driven cut and fit together without fastening. The instructions are the kind I like......no reading to confuse me, just pictures. After I assembled the whole bed, sides slats and all, it was too heavy for me and because it wasn't fast...
Another sign of autumn is saying "good-bye" until next spring to the farmers markets in the area. I visited the Blairsville market this morning, much later than my summer runs. It's colder in the mornings and I chose not to rush out. In the summer I was at the markets by nine to be sure I got the fresh greens before the vendors ran out and the summertime I have more energy. Now I linger longer under my warm cozy covers, stretch and wiggle before putting my feet on the cold floor. Japanese turnips and whatever the other bunch is. I can't remember what she said. Maybe a variety of a kale? Anyway, it's something for me to saute or throw in a soup. A few days I did a slow-cook whole chicken, picked all the meat of the carcass, and froze the chicken in four bags. Then added water to the carcass and onions, carrots, celery, a couple of bay leaves to boil for stock. I got four containers of stock in the freezer for...
Comments