Slept later than usual this morning........'til 7 AM.  When the phone rang at 7:05, of course the first thoughts were family sickness or death.  It was even worse than that....................Ranger Elementary's principal called to ask if I would sub KINDERGARTEN!  AAAGGGGHHHH!  And could I get there by 7:30!  I was sipping a cup of freshly brewed coffee and scuffing around with morning hair.  Told him I'd need a little more time than that so he said how about 7:40.  I have one pair of teaching slacks that still fit since retiring.  We've found the mountain air and the altitude cause material shrinkage.  I slapped some color on my cheeks, found a pair of comfortable loafers in the back  of the closet, and threw on a red sweater.  Cliff scrubbed and halved an apple for me and by 7:25 I was in the passenger seat gulping raisin bran and balancing my cup of coffee.  Cliff got me to the school by 7:40.  I've said this before in my blog............. Ranger Elementary is a sweet little school and I really like it.  There were 15 children in this class with a shared assistant and before long the strong ones told me how to run the classroom.  We practiced winter/Christmas songs for the field trip to the senior center Thursday, read The Gingerbread Man and the Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett (gorgeous illustrations), took a 30-minute nap, the children did, not me, went to centers, did color-cut-and-pastes, tied shoes, listened to tattling, and packed them up and sent them home.  What a day!  Actually, it was a nice break in our routine and although I am tired now, the children's energy was renewing.  Children are refreshing, full of energy, and invigorating. Now I need to be ready with an answer if the principal calls me to sub for the field trip in the morning.................................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog