Cliff's seven foot tall True Black Brandywine standing proudly in the container garden.  It's full of green tomatoes that are slow to ripen this year. 
Finally weeks ago the one on the right started showing a color change.  He said the left one was probably embarrassed and figured it had better follow suit.  Tomorrow he'll pick the ripest one but I'm not sure he'll let me cut into it to make a fresh-tomato sandwich.  I think he's expecting a tomato-picking ceremony.  And......he wants to save the prize seeds for next year's garden. 
Also in a container is a Cuor di Bue Albenga that stopped growing at this height.  It's pencil thin and produced only one blossom.  It's planted in the same soil as the Brandywine, gets fed and watered at the some time.
I chose Cour di Bue Albenga seeds because it's an Italian heirloom that's great for fresh eating, canning, and making sauce.  It's disease resistant and produces a nice pear-shape fruit.  Pear-shape?!
My garden wagon has a new role.  No pun intended.  We found that it's too dangerous for loading mulch or compost bags as it pushes me down the mountain and is impossible to navigate the front wheels without being rolled over and crushed.  So now it holds potted plants in the container garden which places the plants at the deer's mouth level so they don't have to bend as far.  This morning at 6:15 I walked out on the back porch with my coffee and caught a thieving raccoon balanced on the porch rail eating bird seed from the feeder.  I told him the party was over because I was sitting out with my coffee to watch the sunrise. Too many months quarantined and I'm talking to the forest animals.
 




mm






Comments

Popular posts from this blog