Just harvested my first ginger root!  Have never grown tumeric or ginger root Rhizomes. 

It felt so uplifting to dig my hands into the soil and feel the Rhizomes.  This spring and summer gardening was depressing and most herbs and vegetables struggled to survive.  Between days  and days of clouds and rain and my tired mind and body, the gardens suffered.  Looking back now I can see how weary and out-of-sorts I was.  Sleep was interrupted by a busy mind.  Without a full restful sleep my brain was foggy many days.  I'm finally coping better, have fewer brain-fog days, and sleep more restfully until 6 or 6:30 waking without being depressed.  There are fewer days that I walk around not remembering what I'm doing, fewer days that I don't care if I'm even doing, and after all these passing months have fewer bursts of tears that sneak up and catch me unexpectedly.  I can make Cliff's tapioca pudding for me now without sobbing, drive by Station 17 without aching, or emptying the dishwasher without heartbreak.  All the little chores and tasks he did are forever memories.  It's okay now.  

The new station 17 is being built.

His best friend, Dutch, is hoping it will be completed by January.

John and Carolyn spent Tuesday and Wednesday with me.  They are hiking trails around their time-share in Sapphire, NC about 1.5 hours from here.  John fixed a couple of things for me, moved and stacked some concrete blocks out of the way and moved the bench that Cliff and Mark built a few years ago up against the wood shed that I had moved.  I'm planning on about four raised gardens in that area next spring.  Wednesday we celebrated Octoberfest  at the Chop House with the German menu for this week.  It was a wonderful two days talking and laughing with them and hugging family.  Uplifting and renewing.  

All the hummingbirds except one female have begun their migration to Central America.  I removed one feeder but left three where I can always see if she's still here and will continue feeding for the next couple of weeks as others will stop on their travels to drink and rest.  Kind of a sad time of year to watch them go but now I'll have more woodpeckers returning to the suet. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog