The John Campbell Folk School Fall Festival

Today we went the Folk School Fall Festival in Brasstown. I love Brasstown. I could live in an old farmhouse on a few acres out here in Brasstown, drive my old John Deere tractor around, collect eggs from my chickens, and make goat cheese. (not from the chickens)



These first five pictures are the Folk School from the spring of 2008. Following ones are from today.
We were listeneing to Mountain Valley Bluegrass.
Click on any of the pictures for an enlarged detailed shot.


We arrived when it opened at 10. Temperature was low 50's, cloudy.
Alpaca have the cutest eyes but I was told if you get too close, they'll spit on you....only once!
Most of the food prepared here is grown in their own gardens.


One of my favorite booths. The artist explained the designs are cut on the gourds then coffee is poured inside and the color is absorbed. Many of the crafts, photography, artwork, etc that we saw was taught at the school. It's such a fantastic place.



; This artist requested no photos taken of his work but I had already snapped one before I read the sign .......oooops!



Now we're coming to Cliff's favorite booths. We ate pulled pork b-b-q sandwiches, fried apple pie turnovers, cooked in front of us home grown potatoes made into curly fries...............no clogged arteries here!
Broom making.

Festival Barn Stage. Saturday was very crowded. We waited until today so all the Baptists would be in church and it wouldn't be as bad. By noon, though, it was getting harder to get to the food venues.


The teenager here with her grandmother is 14 yrs old and has been spinning for half of her life. The three generations of women raise their own sheep, shear, card and comb the wool, then spin and make sweaters, blankets, etc.
I spent lots of time talking (there's a surprise!) to many of the artists. Most talked freely and welcomed photos taken.


Mountain Life Area. Love the artist's hat. Got to find one to keep the sun out of my eyes when I'm driving my John Deere around the farm. .







Great old barns with tin roofs.

Potter and his kilns.
There is a lady underneath that hat. I spoke with her.
Woodturning workshop. I want to take this course, too. John would like this.

By now we had eaten the pulled pork sandwiches, the fried apple pies, but still needed the potato food group. the apple cider and the kettle corn were for the ride 30 minute home........
Successful day at the art festival.
Go online and check out the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog