Houdini Cat

Maxine has acclimated nicely to our mountain lifestyle.  She would much prefer to stay out on the porch all night with her neck thrust through the porch rails watching nocturnal creatures roam around her woods. When we're ready to close up the house and retire at night, I have to cajole her in with a shake of the treat bag and sweet talk.  She's even comfortable sleeping out on the lounge in 30 degree weather.  So to allow her to safely be outside on the porch from pre-sunrise to way past sunset, we bought a sheet of lattice and for months just propped it against the porch opening keeping her from "running with her cat cousins."  Recently we built a nice frame around the lattice and fixed it so it would hook in place.

When Karen and her family visited us this summer,  Karen asked if we worried about Max slipping through the porch rails and jumping down to escape.  It had never happened so it wasn't a concern.  A few weeks ago I went out on the porch around 9 pm to check on her and see what she was up to and found her on the the porch steps looking up at me from the other side of the gate.  Hmmmmm.     When I asked her how she got on the other side of the gate, she just answered "meow."   So yesterday morning around 6:30 when I let her out on the gated porch in the dark, I stood for awhile with my coffee and to observe her modus operandi.  She very confidently walked over to the left of the gate, slipped her skinny little body through the rails, and jumped down.  Houdini lives.

This morning after we do our walk around Konehete Park and up through town, we'll head to Lowe's.  I'm thinking of running a roll of screen about 18 inches high around the porch rails to keep Houdini from escaping.  She has too much time on her hands and stays up all night thinking of things to do that she's not suppose to do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oops! I promise I didn't whisper any secrets into her ear. :)
Betsy said…
She probably heard my confident reply to you that she wouldn't jump down and thought, "Oh, yeah? Watch this."

Popular posts from this blog