Last Thursday on their way to Pennsylvania, Karen and Bob Swain meandered through Murphy and spent the day with us. We gave them the tour of the garage and our rooms, walked down to the weed infested-garden, then spent the rest of the time sitting out on the back porch.   After catching up on months of missed news and doings, we started talking about retirement.  I told her that when my sister retired from teaching and we called to talk to each other, out of curiosity, I would ask her what she did with all of her free time.  After such a hectic schedule, how did she fill her day?  Her answer was, "just stuff."  What kind of "stuff?"  She'd have a cup of coffee, do some crossword puzzles, wash a load of laundry.  But she did those things anyway when she worked.  I just couldn't imagine what you do all day when you first retire.  Four-and-a-half years ago when I retired, one of my co-workers in 5th grade used to email me asking what I did during the day with all my free time.  I told her "stuff."  I would have my coffee, do laundry, go into town and do errands and just do stuff.  While Karen and I relaxed out on the back porch, discussing the benefits and pleasures of retirement, I asked her since she and Bob arrived home from their road trip to Alaska, what she did now with all her free time.  Karen smiled, "just stuff."  We all do our "stuff" without rushing or watching a clock now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog