Saturday I was at the market and setting up by 7:30.  Cliff always gets my set-up started but couldn't  this time because he and Larry were heading to a ham fest in Waynesville, NC.  Without his help, I figured I'd need more time and wanted to be sure that I got my sturdy white tent.  When I arrived there was only one other vendor, Patty's Purses, who is my neighbor on my left.  Others seemed to straggle in slowly and between vendors and shoppers, the atmosphere remained in slow motion for the whole market day.  It's so interesting to experience different energy levels each Saturday.  My Marblonian (sp?) friend, Pat, brought her chair and spent market time chatting with me and the few customers who stopped at our tent.  I only sold two items the whole time.  There was no threat of rain and by one pm the temperature and humidity felt like a NC summer afternoon. Pat and I packed the aprons, hats, and my new addition to the craft table, relaxing lavender eye pillows, stacked everything in the Kia and headed for lunch at Parker Drugs.

When Cliff and I first visited Murphy back in 2007, we just happened to stop in at Parker Drugs and felt a connection when we spotted the Snack Bar and smelled burgers and BLT grease on the grill.  That day we sat at the bar and were welcomed into the conversation as our burgers and dogs sizzled in the background. People get to know each other here and become connected.  Even today when someone calls Parker Drugs to renew a prescription, you actually give your Rx number to a person who then wishes you a "good day."  This comfortable atmosphere is closing it's doors on July 31.  Walgreens has come into Murphy and started buying up the small pharmacies.  Kerr Drugs became Walgreens about six months ago, losing its coziness and friendly appeal.   So Pat and I sat down at the snack bar and each ordered a BLT.  Actually, they had run out of tomatoes so we ate a toasted BL.  I sipped an old fashioned root beer.  Pat shopped around for a momento to bring home.
                                                    Pat at Parker Drugs Snack Bar
Behind us were more occupied tables and people standing in the card aisle waiting for tables to empty. People who come to Murphy for the mountains and the small town atmosphere, visit places like this Snack bar to let their hair down and connect with smiling faces. 




Comments

ralph said…
i'm so sorry you are losing this fabulous small business.

Popular posts from this blog