"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough."  ~ Earl Wilson

Nacio brought us two inches of light snow and co-o-ld temperatures.  This past week our mornings were in the teens with daily highs not quite reaching 30 degrees.  We've found our stove fire is really worth it on these cold days.  If it's in the 40's and the sun is pouring in the big windows, the house gets too warm with a wood fire.  Next week our temperatures will slowly climb up toward 60 again.  On these cold days, cardinals, titmice, chickadees, juncos, and nuthatches jockey for position on the high-energy hanging suet cakes and seed feeders.

Yesterday roads were too slippery to venture out so Cliff brought the ladder inside and I climbed up and washed the three big windows at the peak of the kitchen/dining area.  To position the ladder at the windows, I moved the shelf unit away from the wall and found a large pile of sunflower shells.  The other day when taking envelopes from the desk drawer, I discovered a small stash of birdseed in the envelope box.  I'm hoping these are old remnants from my little mouse.  I haven't been awakened lately by scurrying feet or found anymore chew holes in the birdseed bag since I put the little wide-eyed creature out on the porch weeks ago.

We've cancelled out trip south.  Lots of things came to mind.  We've had some unexpected expenses pop up.  A week of hoteling in February is  out of our price range due to various tourist activities inflating hotels costs and we'd have to travel south of Fort Meyers to find temperatures warm enough to dig my toes in the sand.  I'm okay with not going.  I'll make more soup, hummus, muffins, and brownies for the cold hungry days. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog