Cliff and I packed the Kia at 8 AM with my table, hat rack, and tubs full of creations.  I drove to the market and he rode his Harley so he could help me set up then ride before the temperature became too uncomfortable.  Business was slow today.  I spent more than I made.  My lettuce is done growing and my poor beets are pitiful.  I bought a nice big bag of red leaf lettuce, two bunches of beets full of huge green leaves, fresh eggs, and new summer squash. 
Guess which beets came from our garden.............................
When I got home, I made my favorite beet, ginger, and coconut milk soup, cooked the remaining beets and washed the leaves for later meals. 

Some of my new hats, adult and children sizes.

I added a few new aprons, too.

The heat set in early and the small number people that came by walked slowly and didn't have much interest in anything but the fresh produce and the English lady's pastries.  It's never too hot for her pastries. 
The start of our garlic harvest, better than last year.  I'm so pleased with their size and looks.

Sweet snap peas are about done.  The vines don't like heat.  I'll pick the last of them tomorrow and pull up the vines making room to maybe put something else in. 
Sunflowers did great this year.  I started the seeds in March in the house, transplanted them when they were six inches tall. 
The 4'x4' raised potato bed and the row of another fifteen potatoes.  I'll check the spuds during the first week of July.
                                         Ten tomato plants

We're dry again so according to how the soil looks, I water either in the evening or the next morning.  Two weeks ago we bought a new hose, the kind that coils back up to about an inch long when it's drained.  The flexible hose works best as I walk between the raised beds without knocking over and damaging plants. Yesterday evening as I watered the cucumbers and morning glories vining up their trellises, the snake hose blew open in my face, totally soaked my hair and clothes, then threw itself around the garden until I walked up the hill and turned off the faucet.  That hose is bagged up and going back to Walmart. 






Comments

Karen Swain said…
Your Walmart house lasted longer than ours. Within 5 minutes of turning ours on it blew the end off! We have never had good luck with that kind.

Popular posts from this blog