My buried treasures are slowly being dug up.  I've uncovered about four pounds of Yukon Golds with about another pound of the reds.  Still have another 24 mounds of potatoes to unearth as the plants turn brown.
Carrots ready for harvesting this week.


 Chantenay Red Core produce a sweet stump-rooted carrot perfect for my rocky clay soil.
The beginning of our tomatoes.  We need a good rain.  I'm watering but the roots need a soaking rain.
 Green and yellow bush beans.
View of the garden from the driveway.
Now that the kale and spinach are finished, every couple of days I cut another bunch of Swiss chard, rinse the spiders and snails off the leaves, and bag the clean leaves for salads, fritattas, or quiches.
Bags of Swiss chard and beet greens tucked into every space available.  Poor Cliff.  No room for desserts!  The other day I researched some recipes online that use bunches of greens so none of this will got to waste.  Spinach and kale can be frozen and used in baked dishes but I've never tried to freeze the chard and beet greens.  I found a delicious green soup.  It isn't a pretty green after the greens are cooked, more like a seaweed or mossy green, but it's very good and I can freeze it.
It's amazing how a 6-quart pot full of chopped greens can boil down to almost nothing.


Cliff tasted it and said it was good but he'd much rather have a large bowl of Berry Twisted chocolate/vanilla swirl yogurt smothered with his favorite toppings.

I'm going to post this under Recipes later when I have more time.  I've taken my preferred ingredients and directions from two different recipes so will have to think when I post.  Also, made a delicious Swamp Soup, which Cliff will eat because it has meat in it.  It was another way to use up the many bags of greens from the garden.  This time I needed to do something with an over abundance of turnip greens.  I used andouille sausage in this recipe.  I don't use turkey sausage or other substitute meats.  I use real food, real meat.  Unless your butcher can guarantee the turkey sausage doesn't contain fillers or ground turkey skins and other unmentionable parts, stick with real food.
I'll post this one later, too.

Lastly, Cliff had another toe surgery this morning.  The Novocaine is the most excruciating part of the the whole procedure.  It's his second painful ingrown toenail and after this procedure the doctor told him he shouldn't have anymore trouble.  That's good because the house needs to be vacuumed and I'm busy making green soup and blogging.




Comments

Karen Swain said…
When we lived in PA we had an extensive garden. Always grew swiss chard because its growing season was much longer than that of spinach. I froze swiss chard just like the spinach and cooked the frozen chard just like frozen spinach. We would enjoy it all winter.

Popular posts from this blog