It's a stormy morning so not a good time to weed between the lettuce and thin the carrots.  I could vacuum.  May do that later.  Yesterday we removed old reflective bird-saver decals from the porch windows, washed and squeegeed the three windows, and put all new hummingbird decals on.
                                                      Taken from inside the house.

We're getting radishes and pea shoots from the garden.

Gardening challenges differ from year to year sometimes due to winter temperatures.  I'm seeing earlier insects and copious weed growth.   Around the shed and path to the garden we've noticed large mounding tunnels this year.  I've been nurturing a healthy looking volunteer sunflower that broke through the clay on its own where sunflowers grew last year.  It stood about 12" tall with a nice sturdy stalk so I planted more sunflower seeds in that area.  The other day when I walked to the garden to check on the flower seed progress and my sunflower, my healthy flower was gone.  At first I thought a deer had nibbled it but there was no nibble evidence.  No stem, no leaves, just a 2" hole tunneling under the earth.  I could just picture the cartoon vole with one swoop and the sound effects, woosh!, pulling the delicious plant into the tunnel.  Then I walked the garden paths to see if any other plants had been stolen and noticed five or six more tunnel holes.    My go-to remedy is Wayne's Feed Store for gardening advice.  I bought a bag of granules, poured some in the holes, and sprinkled more around the perimeter of the garden.  After today's rain, I'll replenish the vole bait. I try to be smarter than the average vole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog