Let the Christmas decorating begin! 

'Twas a month before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring........ except a grey mouse that kept running back and forth peeking out from behind the TV cabinet.

Boxes of decorations from the garage attic storage were placed on the back porch where we could begin some of the outside decorating. Wreaths with red bows were hung on the front windows.  The front porch pre-lit tree was fastened securely to the rails in case a Siberian front comes roaring through in late December.  Cliff set three boxes in the living room, assembled our inside tree, and began decorating.  After the supper dishes were stacked in the dishwasher and the kitchen cleaned, we sat back in our recliners, Christmas tree softly lighting the room, ready to watch The Christmas Train on the Hallmark channel when a tiny grey creature appeared, stopped in its tracks and darted back behind the TV cabinet.  Because my bare feet were up on the foot rest and I'm constantly moving my feet and toes, I thought maybe I glimpsed my movements. 

 Image result for christmas mouse


A few minutes later the mouse ran the perimeter of the room from the TV cabinet, under the drawn French door drapes, and disappeared from sight.  I do believe he was nesting in one of the Christmas boxes in the living room.  My sewing room in the garage has mouse evidence and a few of the boxes have been gnawed.  He or she probably was hoping for a nice warm home for the coming winter. 

With the little creature on the loose in the house at bedtime, I sprinkled peppermint essential oil at the bedroom door thresh-hold but not in the room.  Peppermint oil creates energy, not good at bedtime, but rodents don't like peppermint.  My sleep routine consists of a trip to the bathroom around midnight, never flipping the bathroom light switch on, then back to sleep.  Even in the dark last night, I detected a dark round half-dollar size shape sitting in the tub.  And this morning there was evidence that the cute little mouse had been there. 

This morning we put the Christmas boxes back out on the porch.  My theory is that the mouse returned to its box nest and is now on the porch again........in the cold.  This morning after yoga I drove to Wayne's Feed Store, purchased a humane mouse trap, and set it behind the TV cabinet..... just in case the mouse has taken up residence with us. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog