We're so overrun with voles that I'm seriously thinking about giving up the garden for this year. My spinach is disappearing. The thirty garlic that were set in October now number twenty-six with three more stalks turning yellow. The garlic still have about 5-6 weeks to go before harvesting. I find numerous new holes and tunnels daily. Research on voles shows my approach needs a new method. We bought two bags of Sweeney's Armadillo and Vole Repellent to begin the new strategy. Day by day for five days, the granules are suppose to drive the little buggers away, maybe to someone else yard or to the woods. Today was the third application which should be steering them closer to the west woods. The repellent uses Fullers Earth as a carrier for the castor oil and the rodents should be repelled by the castor oil smell and exit the soil to a new territory. Two more days of applications and we'll see what happens. If this works, I'll be planting my yellow and green beans and my tomato plants. If not, I'll surrender to Mother Nature and shop for more jigsaw puzzles at thrift stores.
Popular posts from this blog
We haven't had any rain in weeks and the next ten days show no rain in sight. Trees usually are bursting with fresh green leaves by this time but not leaves sprouting yet. I haven't planted any seeds in the big garden because it'll be too much work to keep that garden watered. I thought about building a raised garden to put by the porch stairs but that would mean power saws so that was out. I found that Lowe's had a 2' X 4' cedar planter kit in a box that I could assemble myself. I started assembling it on the porch with the intent of carrying it down to where I thought it would be best but plans changed. It's a tool-free frame assembly kit where all the parts are computer-driven cut and fit together without fastening. The instructions are the kind I like......no reading to confuse me, just pictures. After I assembled the whole bed, sides slats and all, it was too heavy for me and because it wasn't fast...
Deer helping me trim the tired summer plants. This is bunny's trademark. With seasonal changes happening animal diets have changed. Plants that have survived deer and bunny all summer are now their favorite foods. Lynn, who lives at the top of Clay Durrett next to Libby, has her cousin visiting for a few weeks from Lisbon, Portugal. He moved there a few years ago and absolutely loves living in Europe. The four of us have been eating out Friday nights. Steve is a hoot with a great sense of humor so he and I really hit it off together. He's a combination of Tommy Vanzini and Lance Hayes from my male friends back in Jr High and High school. So enjoyable to laugh at life again. He'll return to Lisbon later this week. Today TWC predicted only an 18% chance of rain. About an hour ago while talking to my sister on the phone it started pouring and so far the weather station console reported "raini...
Comments