A few years ago my neighbor up the road was grocery shopping in Ingles when she felt faint, melted onto the store floor, and was transported to the ER, checked out, and sent home.  Not knowing where this occurred or why she went to the ER, I saw her days later, asked how she was feeling and what happened.  With a serious face she said she fell off the bar stool.  I thought what a great response!  If I ever fall down, that's going to be my response.  Well, my opportunity came and went and I forgot to use that line.  Saturday evening during the clean-up at Station Twenty-five's Christmas party, I felt my right foot hit something as slippery as ice.  Both feet became air-borne with the body following.  One of the volunteers said I looked like the slow motion sometimes seen on TV.  My life raced before me, thinking in those seconds how to avoid breaking the fall with both wrists.  When I landed on the concrete floor my right hip felt the impact first, then the knee and shoulder.  Of course this happened in a room full of firefighters and medics so I had immediate medical attention.  I was able to sit up with help which was positive.  My body pain was so intense all Saturday night that I never slept.  Cliff supported me when I needed to make a 3 am bathroom visit.  Sunday I sat and iced my hip, knee, and shoulder for twenty minutes every four hours bringing some relief. I had no black and blue which surprised me. Monday evening my rheumatologist checked over my damaged goods and told me I would feel worse before getting better and prescribed two Motrin every eight hours.  He was right but I was able to sleep most of that night. Without looking at a clock, I know when it's close to two more Motrin.  I walk like Walter McCoy of the Real McCoys and going up and down steps is painful.  The doctor recommended continuing with my yoga...............gently stretching so the muscles don't stiffen from sitting in the recliner.  Wednesday was very slow yoga and today felt better.  I found out my ribs were bruised too when I sneezed.  Muscles take a long time to heal.  I know it's going to be some time before I return to Zumba dancing. Cliff's been a great help doing everything I can't do like vacuuming, cleaning, driving me into town and checking to see what I need.  I told the doctor that the party was dry and if I been celebrating with wine, my fall would have been more relaxed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog