SPRING EQUINOX

Mornings have been in the twenties so each evening I still cover some of the tender greens.   By mid-afternoon it's sunny and in the sixties.  Today Cliff assembled the new pressure washer while I had lunch with the gyms girls.  When my mother used to say she was going out to eat "with the girls", a voice in my head echoed "don't you mean the older women?"  Things come back to haunt us.  After getting the pressure washer ready, Cliff adjusted the tines on the Mantis and started it up.  Next couple of clear days we'll get mushroom compost from Wayne's Feed and Grain and till it into the garden.  Today I strapped on wrist bands, loosened the soil before pulling weeds, raked some of the leaves away, and moved some of my compost to the flower bed.  So badly I wanted to keep going but I rested in my garden chair, hydrated, and quit, especially because I did an hour of Zumba dance and yoga this morning.   Hopefully, my wrists, shoulders, and hips won't started complaining around 2 am.
Some volunteer flowers from last year found peaking through the raked leaves.  Now sure what they are.  I broadcast some bee and hummingbird attracting flowers over this area last spring.
Deer barrier ribbon 30" from the ground where it deters the deer snout.  Also, we're in the process of placing a chicken wire barrier around the whole garden to keep the neighbor's six dogs from trampling the garden.  The dogs are only doing what dogs do naturally..........sniffing the grounds where nocturnal creatures roam.  Instead of feeling angry, it's more peaceful to perimeter the area with a low fence barrier.  We'll see how that works.  Last year I bought a pest spray but each time it rained I had to re-spray the ground.  These are the same neighbors who raise the bees that pollinate our garden vegetables and I plant bee attractant wild flowers for their bees, but not for their dogs.
                                                             radishes
                                               spinach, lettuce, kale transplants

Have been checking the Journey North site where I track hummingbird migration.  Some of the citizen observers have posted that they are spotting HBs much earlier than previous years.  One reported 18 days earlier than last year.  Today I boiled my first sugar/water batch.  Wasn't going to do it until this weekend but got hyped today after reading that posting.  One of our neighbors claims he saw one hummingbird fly by earlier this week...........but I'm not sure.  Anyway, the nectar is cooled, poured into the clean feeder and will go out in the morning.   Even with all of the ups and downs that March brings, it's an exciting transitional month. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog