I started a new posting a week ago but left it when something interrupted me, don't remember what, maybe the supper timer beeped for me to stir something on the burner or the dryer buzzer annoyingly let me know the clothes were dry.  It wouldn't take much for me to lose my train of thought.  Much later when I returned to the post and reread what was started, I realized I had no idea where I was going with it, but I also can't tell jokes anymore because I forget where the joke is going. So I'm starting fresh knowing there will be interruptions as sweet potatoes are baking at 350 for another 30 minutes, broccoli is prepared and waiting to be steamed and cod will be baked in the oven when the potato timer tells me they're ready to be removed.  I have paper and pencil here by the computer to jot down ideas/thoughts of where I am going this time. 

March is a transitioning month, bringing us slowly into spring.  Even though we may experience wintery days before the spring warm-up, I've found I look forward to traveling through March.  Early greens (kale, Swiss chard, lettuce) seeds can be planted, daylight savings time marks the beginning of spring (in my mind), and tracking the journey north of the hummingbirds excites my spirit.  This has been the most physically difficult winter I've experienced so I'm looking forward to warmer weather.  Today on the Journey North site, ruby-throated hummingbirds were reported in Sparta, GA, 20 days earlier than other years.  This morning we had a brilliant yellow finch at our front feeder.  Winter finches are a dull greenish-yellow.  We have one nosy finch that sits on front feeder and stretches its neck like a giraffe peering around to see who's trying to eat his seeds. 
Just as a I snapped this a Cardinal landed on the feeder and the finch retreated.
                                               Even the birds have personalities.

A few weeks ago after the 7 inches of rain accumulation, we drove out to the Nantahala Outdoor Center for lunch and to see the river.
While eating lunch by the window at the River's End we watched logs and huge branches caught up in the rushing rapids go swiftly by.  I had just commented to Cliff how dangerous the river was due to the large floating trees in the rapids when we saw three men in kayaks travel by our window. What were they thinking!

The forecast for the next 15 days is 50s-60+.  Good days ahead.  I hope to get down to the garden to plant beets, carrots, radishes and some leafy greens.  Time to put the deer barrier ribbon back and watch for the vole holes.  More evening light and more time outside.  Good for my soul.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog