This time of year I struggle with leaving my garden to go into the house. I'm surrounded by fresh new greening trees, flowering dogwoods, wild azaleas, and layers of pollen thick enough to write my grocery list. This morning when I figured out where the tomatoes should go in May and June, I transplanted the borage plants in the same area.  During the winter I placed three borage seeds in recycled fruit clam-shell containers and placed them on the porch through the cold and rain.  I was amazed to see that they actually sprouted in winter in their little "green houses".  Next year I'll do six plants. Mature tomato plants attract the most disgustingly hideous huge green hornworms that decimate the tomatoes and the leaves.  The beautiful borage plants deter them and are bee friendly.




Borage in bloom
This is obviously not my garden...................yet.
I also set about a dozen onions bulbs and will do more next trip to the garden.  I'm typing this at 9 pm and so far I'm not in any discomfort so hopefully I didn't over do it today with transplanting and digging, turning over the clay with the garden fork and amending the soil with compost materials.  After supper when Cliff went to his fire station tonight, the garden called me  to go back down and play a little more.  Happiness and freedom......................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog