Over a month ago I visited our small library looking for something light and relaxing to get into.  I didn't know what I wanted but did know that I didn't want to read anything tense, like David Baldacci's government espionage series or murder/suspense novels.  Browsing novels to me can be compared to the way I choose a wine.  Wine labels have become quite artsy and I pick many a wine first by the label appeal, secondly by the description of the wine's fruity or oak flavors.  I choose novels  in the same way, by cover appeal followed by reading the back or the cover flap.  It was just by luck that I found my new reading series by Donna Ball.
Three life-long friends make a life-altering decision to buy a run-down mansion in the Shenandoah Valley facing challenges and obstacles together.  I love these women for their strength and compassion in making their new journey together work.  I'm now on the second book of the series, At Home on Ladybug Farm. If you need a calm, enjoyable read, begin with A Year on Ladybug Farm by Donna Bell.

Life is full of challenges no matter what your age.  Family and dear friends are the best support systems we have.  As I figured, my disease is progressing and I need to add a new Rx to my routine.  I spent a long time last week talking with my rheumatologist about the next step and as uncomfortable as I am with the added medication, I will be starting in a few weeks.  He and I have been working together by phone and with office visits to quiet the inflammations.  My present Rx has worked for 6 or 7 years with no side effects.  Now he feels it's time to add Methotrexate once a week, an old tried and true medication that doctors have used for years for rheumatoid arthritis.  In the next couple of weeks I'll spend some office time with him and learn how to self-inject.  The oral form can be hard on the stomach. 

On a another note, we've been watching and thoroughly enjoying Masterpiece Theater's Downton Abbey.  Evening is the only time the TV goes on and we alternate between  DVR runs of Blue Bloods and Bull, Masterpiece Theater, and Netflix's Father Brown and West Wing.  This is our second time watching episodes of West Wing.  We love the interaction of the cast with their quick witty lines. 

We're back into the humid 90 degree days and finally had 3/8 of an inch of rain yesterday.  Pulled up two more tomato plants leaving just one in the kitchen garden because it's still producing its two-once colorful green and red zebra looking fruits.  I think it's hanging on for dear life knowing that I pulled up the one beside it because it stopped bearing fruit.  Hummingbirds are still here but we know it'll only be maybe another ten days or so before they make the great migration south.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog