The older I get, the smarter my mother gets................
From the archives of her letters


She loved Ziggy, Calvin and Hobbes, For Better or Worse, and many more comics, and included some profound clippings in her letters to me.  This one didn't really hit me until recently as my routine and life had to change so much.  It now holds a permanent place on the refrigerator door.

We're still working on lowering Cliff's sodium intake.  Doctor's orders.  Today is dank, dreary, and rainy.  The kind of weather that makes some people open cabinet doors scavenging for comfort foods.  I know the feeling.  Late afternoon is my craving time.  I don't always know what I need so I open cabinet doors, move items around not finding what might satisfy the palate and walk away.  A few minutes repeat the same search, opening the same cabinet doors still not finding foods to satisfy my craving, close the cabinet doors, and walk away.  I guess in the repeated search I figured maybe something that didn't appeal the first time might look tasty in the second or third try.  Since today's weather is so dreary, we both decided we needed a childhood memories lunch, our comfort food.  I found a recipe online for Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup.  Tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches were childhood favorites and I could control his sodium intake with a home-made soup. 

We've been putting up our  Christmas decorations early because Jen and Mark are flying in on Thanksgiving Day and we'll do early gifts with them. 
I'm so excited about the Thanksgiving cactus. This is the first year it's looked so healthy and has held onto its blossoms.  Of course, other years it's been entirely my fault because I have a tendency to over-water causing buds to fall off.  This year I left the plant outside on the porch to be rained on then brought it in before we had thirty degree nights and left it alone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog