At the end of the summer last year, we booked an Airbnb in Cape Canaveral to see Mark and Jen and take a break from our winter weather.  We were hyped.  I was so pleased that the injections were working and was feeling energetic and lively again.  A week before the trip I decided to Murphy Oil Soap the hardwood floors, just in the kitchen/dining area.  I didn't scrub hard like I was swabbing a ship's deck, but the repetitive mopping wasn't a smart move.  My doctor had just given me the "travel" injection as a safety measure to help make the drive easier but 24 hours after I mopped the floor, shoulder aching started.  Four days later neck and shoulder were fully inflamed with pain radiating across the elbow into the back of my hand.  Because we were leaving in a few days, I ended up back the doctor's for two more injections in the neck area, hoping I'd be able to stand the two day ride.  Between the painful ride and the sleepless nights, I was pretty fatigued, but figured I'd could rest a lot and enjoy the warm air.  Wrong.  Cold fronts were arriving.  Weather was cloudy, rainy, and cold enough to wear jackets and jeans.  I needed to walk after the drive so we found a mall and walked.......right to a Cold Stone Creamery store.  We shared a no-guilt large coffee ice-cream cup.  Comfort food for healing.  Mark and Jen work during the day so we spent two evenings with them at their house.  Mark ended up at a walk-in clinic when coming down with a respiratory infection which ended our vacation.  With a compromised immune system, I couldn't be with him anymore.  Cliff couldn't take the chance of getting it because he is the driver.  We decided to take two days and head back to Murphy.  If the weather had been warmer and we could have walked the beach and spent time outside, we would have stayed the last two days. My neck and shoulder are improving with heat wraps, gentle stretches and exercising.  I wear a soft foam neck brace when in the car and when sleeping which is very therapeutic.  A few more weeks of rest and warm wraps and the neck should be in better shape. It'll never be good as new because the little cervical vertebrae are old and arthritic.  Cliff's chore list is getting longer.  He needs his 3:30 afternoon naps.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog