If the first thing you reach for upon waking in the morning is a freshly brewed cup of joe, imagine not having that satisfying caffeine jolt for four days. No warm cup to wrap your hands around as the coffee steam teases your nose and your tastes buds savor the first sips.  Hot peppermint tea just doesn't fulfill the same pleasure.

Off and on Saturday, I felt unbalanced, blaming it on fatigue from the drive home from Florida.  I was still feeling punk but figured it was just my body trying to cope.  During the night, I became sick with the stomach flu which makes one so weak and ill that you can't even crawl.  All you can do is lie on the bathroom floor and whimper for help.  It was 24 hours of the worst nonstop body/joint/pain I think I've ever experienced and it quickly dehydrates the body.  Monday afternoon my doctor returned my call with stomach flu instructions.  For the first 24 hours only clear liquids like Gatorade, Pedialyte, teas, water, etc. Next day I could add dry toast with jelly.  Third day add cooked oatmeal sprinkled with sugar, no milk, white rice sprinkled with salt, no fats/butter, and white pasta sprinkled with salt and continue clear fluids.  If the stomach is still doing okay, on the fourth day add a red-skinned baked potato sprinkled with salt, no fats added and see how the stomach digests the skins.  Yesterday was my fourth day. I'm glad I like hot tea as I probably consumed five cups a day along with grape Pedialyte, which really is quite delightful, replenishes electrolytes quickly and is easy to drink, along with multiple glasses of water.

I felt like a child getting off restriction for bad behavior this morning because I poured my first hot cup of coffee since Sunday morning, cradled both hands around the warm mug, enjoyed the steam tickling my nose hairs, and welcomed the coffee on my taste buds. Mmmmm!  Normalcy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog