Last Thursday I got my first sub call since I put my name in at one of our local schools. One of the two 4th grade teachers went home sick so I jumped in.....both feet. When you're called at 9:15 AM and told you're needed immediately, it's a quick "yes" or "no." After I found some teacher clothes that were strategically placed in the deep abyss of my closet, I quickly dressed and went to school wondering "what have I done?" New school, unknown schedule and faculty, a few fresh 4th graders trying to assert their independence, I didn't have time to pack a lunch,(tater tots & some form of nuggets in the cafeteria! e-e-w) just a large bottle of water, and classes that didn't end until 3 PM!!! I made it through that day and as I leaving, the AP asked if I would come in again in the morning for that same teacher. Sure! It's always better when YOU begin the day with the students. Friday went better and I enjoyed the routine. Met the three 3rd grade teachers and i was told to run if they ever call me to sub. This group of 3rd graders has quite a reputation for being a handful. Kids are kids everywhere. It was nice to be back in the classroom but not have the responsibility that goes with it. Not having the district or the county push new strategies, pretesting & post testing, scantrons, added expectations crammed into the teaching day down my throat. There is such a difference in the small rural vs the city schools. This place isn't perfect and I don't know what they're complaints are and I'm sure I'll hear them as i sub more. I took kids temps when they complained of not feeling well. The media, the computer lab, cafeteria are all just footsteps away, and the atmosphere is much more relaxed. There is less transitions time lost when going to and from these areas or to recess. Hopefully, I'll get some more days subbing soon. All in all..........two good days with children even though in those two days I saw some sad eyes, heard stories of unemployed parents, and other stories not different from Volusia County....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog