Another sad sign of the times. I went to George's Butcher Shop this morning to get his farm eggs, a couple of pounds of Brasstown beef, and more chicken for the freezer only to pull into his parking lot and see a U-Haul backed up to his door. I wondered if this was in his future. I didn't want to admit that all the signs were there. George opened before we permanently settled here, probably about 5 years ago. He's an honest person with a heart of gold who donated his pulled pork, chicken, and beef to community functions, opened his doors sometimes 2 hours early for customers who showed up in his parking lot, gave work to young people willing to learn the trade, and fed those who were hungry. George always made time to talk and he and I used to laugh over his teenagers' antics. His Dad, well into his 80's, came out of retirement to help him when times were busy. Gosh, this sounds like an obit.................George didn't die, but he closed the doors to his butcher shop over the weekend. Our local supermarket, Ingles, scooped him up immediately so he isn't without work. But it's sad when recently our local family-run bookstore had to close and now another family business which did so well for awhile has to shut its doors.
Popular posts from this blog
We haven't had any rain in weeks and the next ten days show no rain in sight. Trees usually are bursting with fresh green leaves by this time but not leaves sprouting yet. I haven't planted any seeds in the big garden because it'll be too much work to keep that garden watered. I thought about building a raised garden to put by the porch stairs but that would mean power saws so that was out. I found that Lowe's had a 2' X 4' cedar planter kit in a box that I could assemble myself. I started assembling it on the porch with the intent of carrying it down to where I thought it would be best but plans changed. It's a tool-free frame assembly kit where all the parts are computer-driven cut and fit together without fastening. The instructions are the kind I like......no reading to confuse me, just pictures. After I assembled the whole bed, sides slats and all, it was too heavy for me and because it wasn't fast...
Deer helping me trim the tired summer plants. This is bunny's trademark. With seasonal changes happening animal diets have changed. Plants that have survived deer and bunny all summer are now their favorite foods. Lynn, who lives at the top of Clay Durrett next to Libby, has her cousin visiting for a few weeks from Lisbon, Portugal. He moved there a few years ago and absolutely loves living in Europe. The four of us have been eating out Friday nights. Steve is a hoot with a great sense of humor so he and I really hit it off together. He's a combination of Tommy Vanzini and Lance Hayes from my male friends back in Jr High and High school. So enjoyable to laugh at life again. He'll return to Lisbon later this week. Today TWC predicted only an 18% chance of rain. About an hour ago while talking to my sister on the phone it started pouring and so far the weather station console reported "raini...
Comments