BR-R-R-R...............coldest morning so far.  The red hand on our old round porch dial thermometer rested on 18 when I stepped out with my coffee this morning.  I've probably sacrificed the kitchen window box geranium with this freezing temperature.  During the day the potted plants bask in the mid-60 degree sunshine out on the porch returning to their window spots in the kitchen and dining room late afternoon as the sun slides down behind the mountain. A couple of nights ago when I removed the window box geranium from its stand, a small bird flew out from the thick leaves and flowers into the darkness to find a new place for the night.  Since then I've left the geranium in its place against the kitchen window covering the plants with dishtowels in hopes the bird will return.  November has been a bonus even though some nights dipped to mid 20's, most days return to a sunny mid-60 degrees temperature. 

We pulled out all the Christmas decorations yesterday from the crawl space and the attic and will begin our decorating today while the weather is still pleasant.  Concrete for the garage foundation is scheduled to be poured sometime this coming week. 

Last night was the first night in two weeks I was able to roll over, thrash, and hoard all the blankets without any pain.  I hadn't posted about the neck strain and elbow injury because it was another stupid move I made when stacking wood and being a mountain woman.  With our new log splitter and all the seasoned logs that have dried and are ready to cut, Cliff and I have been excited about being able to prepare our own winter wood for the stove.  His lower back and hip aches have been causing him restless uncomfortable nights.  I strained neck muscles which radiated into the shoulder and back muscle and also pulled muscles around the elbow.  The doctor just shook his head when he told us both to modify how we do our outside chores.  Muscle strains take weeks to heal and I know the routine so I've been icing, taking a Rx pain meds and muscle relaxer, and doing the exercises I learned in physical therapy eight years ago when the stress of my mother's stroke caused this the first time.  Our doctor knows that I'll be outside maintaining my mountain woman image so he showed me how to modify the activities to take the stress off the joints and avoid injury.  The worst pain arrived on my birthday and since I couldn't celebrate, I never did turn 66. 

"Age is a number and mine is unlisted." ~unknown


Comments

Popular posts from this blog