Finally.......a dulcimer lesson!

Woke at 5:30 this morning excited about my second music session.  Wednesday after our regularly scheduled pizza lunch with Pat and Larry, I drove to the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown and signed up for a weekend dulcimer class.  My beautiful dulcimer has been sitting in its case for a couple of years now only to be taken out to show friends or play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".  I've been following the local scholarship site at the JCFS hoping to be able to catch a free course, but the dulcimer sessions are never offered for free.  Being a full-time resident, I'm allowed one free course per year from the local scholarship listing, which changes every couple of weeks or I can take any course anytime for half price.  When I read beginning dulcimer with Anne Lough was offered this weekend, I decided it was time to take the dulcimer out of the case for the weekend.  I must confess, I have been intimidated by this 3-stinged instrument.  It's my fear of failing or making a fool of myself in front of the others in a class.  A fear that I would only be able to get so far and be stuck with "Mary Had a Little Lamb" playing in my head.  Cliff dropped me off for my 'first day of school" at 5 pm where I attended orientation, had dinner in the dining room with all the other students attending a variety of weekend classes, and reported to the music building where I began an evening of playing and singing.  After tuning eleven dulcimers, Anne got us right into strumming.  Last night by the time Cliff picked me up at nine, I was able to strum "Bile Them Cabbage Down", "Down in the Valley", "Red River Valley", and "You are my Sunshine".  And..........to bring up our confidence level, Anne accompanied us beautifully with her guitar allowing the class to sound melodious and feel success.  So I'm having my coffee now, will grab my breakfast, and at 8:30 drive back for a full day's music lesson.

to be continued..................

Comments

ralph said…
hope you had a great weekend with your dulcimer and biled down cabbages!

Popular posts from this blog