There is a site called Journey North that I have followed since moving here.  It's a free Internet-based program that explores the interrelated aspects of seasonal change.  In the six years or so that I've used it, the site has expanded for the citizen observer and for teachers.  Until recently, I accessed this site only in March to track the hummingbird migration from Central America to their arrival in the eastern United States.  Cliff and I often wondered if the migration south is just as exciting as the journey north is to observers.  Every April on my calendar, I record our first hummingbird sighting along with temperature and weather conditions.  Every October I do the same, noting the last hummingbird sighting.  Last year it was on Cliff's birthday, the 11th, that we saw the last hummer.  So this year when I spotted one on the 12th, it was a bonus.  I always keep the feeders supplied with fresh nectar for over a week after the last sighting just in case travelers stop to rest and refuel before continuing south.  When I texted Lauria that I had a visitor on the 12th, she told me to post it!  That inspired me to search for Journey south.  It's actually on the same site that I have been posting on but never explored the site in depth.  Since that sighting on the 12th, we've seen hummingbirds each day.  So every afternoon we sit on the porch around 2:30 enjoying the drifting leaves, soaking up the sun's rays, and waiting for an appearance.  It's possible a traveler hits the feeders or the flowers during the day but we're busy and not as attentive.  As of yesterday, the 16th, I've been fortunate enough to see one each afternoon sipping nectar from the red tube-shaped pineapple sage plant of the corner of the house.
This morning's temperature at 7 was 32 degrees here and tomorrow morning is suppose to be colder.  The cold will probably burn the flowers and leaves, but feeders will stay supplied for another week.  Some of the hummingbirds we've watched in the past couple of days have been juveniles.  Their feathers aren't as brilliant or iridescent as the adults. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog