Last week my sister and brother-in-law headed to Nashville via Murphy.  We spent a wonderful weekend talking, laughing, and relaxing together.  We picked Vic's brain on how to tackle some of the projects that have been put off.  To me, the most urgent one was finishing the driveway with some sort of fence.  Clliff and I didn't know how or where to start.  I need an image in order to do anything.  The driveway is so packed we didn't think we'd be able to get through the crush-and-run to put in fence posts.  Vic started digging into the hard packed driveway and explained what to do.


The break bar we bought did the trick.  I'll also use it when I put in the daffodil bulbs  today.  I leveled the posts while Cliff put Quikrete in the holes.  Next day we cut and fastened 2 x 6's to the posts.
Excess posts cut off.
Staining.  Notice that he's on the steep sloping side of the driveway.
The rocks kept slipping and sliding until he was no longer at the fence.  Now he's trying to figure out how to get back up or down without sliding more, maybe landing in my garden, or falling.  The fence project only took two days, first day concrete drying, and we're so pleased with the look.  If Retta and Vic hadn't spent those days with us before driving to Nashville, we'd still be talking about how we were going to tackle this project.

Also, we bought two  5 x 7 cotton area rugs for my sewing room to keep my feet a little warmer through the winter.  I moved the furniture into the garage and did a thorough vacuuming in the room.  After rearranging a few pieces of furniture, I decided to clean the garage which lead to  finding 2 old bags of kitty litter used to absorb old stains and paints.  The bags filled 4 old stain cans which lead to my cleaning up another area under the covered porch.  I filled big trash bags, stacked my spring potting items, and decided to build a new potting bench this fall.  I've seen pictures of potting benches made from palettes and as soon as I start collecting the palettes, I can build the bench.

Weather has been mild and was perfect while Retta and Vic were here.  Actually, for the rest of their vacation, beautiful weather followed them.  My last hummingbird sighting was the 16th which is five days later than any other year since I've started recording. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog