With the sun a bit lower in the sky now, the garden gets fewer hours of required light needed for plump tomatoes and yellow beans.  We've been weeks with little or no rain leaving the soil cracked and dry.  Morning watering can't compare to a soaking day-long rain.  A few days ago I pulled up the green and yellow beans and put in a few new dill weed plants and two dozen onion sets.
                                              No more beans.
                                                   new fall onions
  Basil did well this year.  Basil doesn't like soggy feet so I had no black rot on the stems and leaves.  I've frozen eighteen cubes of chopped basil leaves in olive oil and eight chives in water cubes for winter cooking.  
                                                  morning glories
Early morning temperatures have been about 58 degrees.  Before the heat of the day set in this morning, we did our walk around Konehete Park in town then built my potting bench using wood from a pallet and other odds and ends of wood we had. 
Notice the stack of concrete blocks.  Last Wednesday I started having discomfort in my left shoulder muscles.  Thursday night the discomfort became pain and Friday morning I actually called my rheumatologist the pain was so bad and I skipped my favorite yoga class.  He asked me what I had been lifting.  I thought about all the usual things I do, carry groceries, sweep out the garage, some gardening but couldn't think of anything heavy I had lifted.  He told me I had caused a trauma to the muscles and I was to ice, heat for spasms, Motrin for pain, and rest.  If I wasn't better by Tuesday, to call and he'd see me.  Saturday morning when I looked out in the back, I discovered the cause of my trauma.  When I was lifting and moving the concrete blocks nothing hurt.  It was three days later that my muscles were angry with me.  After icing and resting and behaving myself, all the pain was gone by Sunday morning.  So now I ask Cliff to move concrete blocks and pianos and couches and other annoyingly heavy objects for me.
I'll be back in my zumba and yoga class in the morning.





mmm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog