Beginning the New Year ..................



Our thermometer registered -1 at 7 a.m.  Downtown Murphy was a balmy 5 degrees.  Late yesterday afternoon, I noticed the chickadees going in and out of the gourd hanging in the front tree.  I wonder if any took cover in it throughout the night.  Morning doves shared the steamy warm 40-degree birdbath water with other birds this morning.  On the winding road to the gym, there's a small fenced area that contains five young goats.  The only shelter they have is a clam-shell type structure that's too little to contain five goats on below zero nights.  I wonder where the farmer's head is.  She baffles me.  I know animals acclimate to their environment but this is an unexpectedly early frigid front. Our days are only reaching mid-20's.

At the end of last summer I pickled green and yellow beans from the garden using a new recipe.  Two weeks ago I opened one and had to use the kitchen fire extinguisher on my mouth. 
This morning I opened a second jar and found it milder than the first.  It still has a bite but I don't have third-degree blisters in my mouth.  The recipe uses garlic and a dried hot pepper.  Evidently, the pepper in the first jar was very spicy or larger than the second.  I'll make sure I write a note on the recipe for this summer's pickling. 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog