Hopefully, the teen-high temperatures are a past memory.  Teen lows are still possible.  After all, we still have February to go. The ground is clear of snow and ice as the last few days have been more normal with temperatures reaching 50-ish and today was 60 by 3 pm.  The bitter cutting cold disturbs me emotionally, not physically.  I feel like a caged tiger pacing back and forth needing to be set free.  I don't mind bundling up warmly to get out and walk but the wind chill is too much.  To ease my winter blues, besides consuming brownies, I started a few herbs in plastic egg containers.
                                                Thai holy basil
Also have, dill, cilantro and parsley sitting on a sill.  Seed catalogs started arriving after Christmas and I've been making my wish list.  Lowe's spring seeds display is set up and after a Mexican lunch at Monte Alban today, I bought sage, basil, and oregano and a few 8 x 12 boards.   The sun and warm air were so comforting that we started replacing the old rotten wood in the raised garden this afternoon. 

                                              One of the upper level gardens
 The beginning of one of the lower level gardens.  I usually garden in three tiers planting cukes or potatoes and squash, vegetables that run free with no control outside of the raised beds.  Some of the ground and logs that were edges are frozen solid.  When I raked away dead leaf layers and cleaned an area for Cliff to place the planks, I found weeds still thriving nicely.  More planks are needed but today was a start and I didn't want to waste this beautiful afternoon inside.

 I've needed a garden sifter for years and found a person to build one for me.  My Zumba instructor has plumbing, construction, and all odd jobs skills.  She's quite versatile and handy.

This is Mark's and John's Vegas weekend.  Each year they fly out for the playoffs and for time spent together eating, gambling a little, and shouting at the football players.

The new blog picture is a music box from Russia.  One of the young dancers in the Zumba class is Russian.  Elena flew  home to spend the Christmas holidays with her family and brought back this hand-painted music box for me.  Now I can dance a Russian berezka in my living room when I get iced in and can't get to the Zumba classes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog