It's raining so I can't go out and play...............

Last night after showering at 8:30 and turning off the TV I sat out on the back porch, no lights on, and listened to the night sounds.  Sky was cloudy so no stars were visible but I did watch the fireflies flicking.  According to the Farmers Almanac these are actually dormant beetles that emerge in warm humid weather so we are seeing them early. Last night at 9 our temperature was still near 70 degrees.  Off in the distance I heard the whippoorwills calling.  Perfect spring night......................

I've been busy the past couple of days getting the porch ready for pressure washing and staining.  Finally did the last cleaning today.  Pressure washing tomorrow.  It's amazing how much stuff I had to remove and get off the porch.  I didn't think I had collected that much.  The HB feeders will stay up until the guy gets here.  I'm concerned about the baby Carolina wrens that are getting close to fledging. Parents are now feeding them big bugs. 


 I removed the seedlings not ready for transplant to a shady spot and this morning watched the mourning doves walk over them.  Dumb birds................  And went down to the garden this morning to side dress the garlic with worm casting and found my big fat bunny nibbling something.  Still can't figure out how it got in.  So I left the gate open and walked away to watch it hop away.  Then sprayed the whole perimeter with deer/rabbit repellent from Wayne's Feed and Grain, totally natural herbs repellent.  Then headed to town to walk the river loop before the afternoon rain and stopped for tea with a friend at the Rare Bird Emporium.  It's a neat eclectic spot people meet for chatting, sitting in a quiet corner to read, browsing. Nobody bothers you and I just discovered it.  It has tea, coffee, muffins and quiet spots.  I love it.

I have one male and one female hummingbird.  This year I have three feeders up instead  of four.  I'm making progress, trying to ease up on what I do.  


 I watched a youTube on planting small seeds using a flour/water paste to make a seed tape.  Like I don't have enough to do.............. Carrot seeds are small and if planted using a a seed tape grow at a good space.  

Using a flour/water paste set the seeds 3" spaced apart and fold the paper towel or toilet tissue in half to make the tape.


It makes it easier to see where you are placing your seeds.  Cover, water, label the row. Keep it moist.  Wait for nature to do her part.  

I proof read once.......................





 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog