The last of the hummingbirds are gone and are trekking south. Jack Frost has been busy painting his autumn colors.


Fall colors are more brilliant this year than last year. The rains haven't dulled the yellows and reds.
After living in Florida for 28 years, I'm enjoying the vibrant colors of fall again.
The cooler nights bring the smell of wood burning in fireplaces and the crisp mornings make me feel refreshed and alive.


I can hear the crunchy rustling of dry leaves beneath my feet as I walk home from school on River Street, kicking the leaves high up into the air.







Great soup weather.

Getting read for the ginger-carrot soup. Chopped carrots and onions and grated ginger.
All it takes is the sound of cabinet doors opening or a cookbook page turning, and Max is ready to help me in the kitchen.
The other day I was trying to use the auto setting on my camera to snap a picture of me cooking and set the camera on the window sill. I couldn't find the instruction booklet after I put in a place where I'd remember where it was. I got some shots of my backside walking away from the camera, some of the ceiling. Finally, I remembered what button to hit. The setting gives you 10 seconds to pose.

Soup simmering for 30 minutes. Smells delicious at this stage. After it cools down some, the soup is pureed.
Soup pureed and ready to eat.


GINGER-CARROT SOUP
from Dr. Weil's anti inflammatory recipes

The combination of these two roots blend to give a delicious flavor.

2 tbs canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tbs finely chopped fresh ginger root
3 cups carrots, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
7 cups vegetable or chicken stock
salt to taste
dash of nutmeg
dash of dry sherry

In a large pot heat oil, add onion and ginger. Saute just until onion is translucent.

Add potatoes, carrots, and stock. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat. Boil just until veggies are tender, 30 -40 minutes.

Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor.

Add salt to taste and flavor with sherry and nutmeg. Adjust ingredients to your palate. Serve warm.

Wonderful on a cool day. I didn't use sherry..............don't have any in the house and forgot to try the nutmeg. I'll make this again. It's easy and very warming to the soul. Next time I'll freeze some in serving sizes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog