John was in Chattanooga this week on business and drove out to spend some time with us.  It was so nice to cook up potato salad with our garden potatoes and feed him our summer squash.  I have to remind Cliff to take pictures but forgot to because we were so busy talking and time went so quickly.  Next time out or if he and Carolyn can visit together, we'll take pictures.  She's doing well.  Just had another scan and won't need to return to the doctors until December.

Yesterday's weather was a surprising 74 degree high!   Cloudy all day with high percent of rain, which we didn't even get a drop, but the temperature was so pleasant that I was able to work in the garden without dripping.  Cliff and I turned over the soil and added some black cow manure for the fall planting.  Still have tomatoes, which are beginning to get orange, and I've picked two Romas.  Mary, from upper Boulder Creek Rd, brought me three zucchini, since I didn't plant any, and dozens of grape and cherry tomatoes.  I set two new heirloom tomato plants and can now plant beets and broccoli as soon as I can find beet seeds.  Cliff read that seeds aren't available in the stores and people are having a hard time finding the seeds for their gardens. Guess crops are not being harvested for seeds.  There are quite a few seeds and sets I can put in right up to September for the fall/winter harvest.  The fall garden will be smaller due to my summer plants which have spread and taken over the whole garden and part of the forest.  Just as an experiment, I planted gourds, watermelon, cantaloupe along the edge of the garden to run wild where ever they needed to spread.  The winter squash look wonderful.  Have my fingers crossed that they will continue to grow and not get infested with some disgusting disease or invaded by little aliens.  I haven't applied any toxic sprays, just natural applications that I make that were found online.  I keep saying I'm going to journal what I've done this year so I'll be able to adjust my strategies next year, but haven't written anything down yet.  Maybe today I'll start.   Some days I pick dozens of cukes from just four plants, but ironically, cucumbers, compared to other veggies, have very little nutritional value.  The front flower garden didn't "show off" this year as it did last year.  I didn't have the deep red lilies and other flowers fill the garden.  Not a good year for lilies.




 new bulbs

Don't remember what I planted.  I love this ground cover because it continuously shows little purple blossoms.

Stealing some pictures from Lauria's China blogging.
is this not precious?  yesterday I felt like this!
Sofia
kids went to a puppet show
Olivia

Only a few more days until the family is reunited!

Comments

ralph said…
soon we will be home. just a few more days. can not wait...

Popular posts from this blog