Woodstove

This week Cliff and I dropped by Fireside Hearth and Home, our local husband and wife owned shop, to get information and ask questions about a fireplace insert before winter sets in.  There is so much cold air leakage in winter flowing from the top and bottom vents of our existing fireplace that we barely used it last winter.  Cliff made an insulated frame which I covered with a heavy upholstering material and we left it in place most of the season.  Using a conventional fireplace is very ambient but not efficient and much of our time was spent stoking and adding wood.  We considered pellets or propane, but after talking to the owner, we decided that living in the forest with so much available wood, we should go with a wood burner.  Yesterday a service person showed up on his Harley, after dodging moguls and ruts on Boulder Creek Road, measured our hearth and firebox.  This Homestead model is the right one for our small house.  We wanted a unit that was safe to leave when in use.  This is the woodstove we've chosen. 

A single load of wood will burn up to 8 hours and give off heat another 4 hours.  I can cook on the soapstone top if we loose power or leave a kettle of water on for moisture in the house.  It will heat up 1800 sq.ft and our home is only 1200+ so this is perfect for our needs.

Garden update
Some rotten little insects have infested the watermelon vines.  The melons still look good, not rotting so I'm hoping they can still get enough nutrition and finish ripening.  I guess I'll have to pull the cucumber vines and the summer squash this weekend.  They have done their job and are old and tired now so need to be put to rest.  The two new heirloom tomato plants I set in July have also contracted some disease or varmint so may not be able to produce fall tomatoes.  The sun is falling differently on the garden and the growing area is about half the spring/summer area.  After I euthanize the geriatric plants, I think I'll still  try a few rows to see how veggies do in the fall, especially after the leaves fall.  Yesterday I read blog postings from other home gardeners, like myself, on making simple cheap row covers that deter caterpillars and other invasive creatures.  So I'll try  row covers. Really don't want to use toxic pesticides and the homemade potions need to be applied after every rain.  The row covers stay in place throughout the growing season allowing the sun and rain to penetrate the porous material.

I can pick up sheers or other porous material at flea markets or thrift shops.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is a very attractive unit. You should have many years of enjoyment from it.

Popular posts from this blog