When I go the the garden each morning to see what the deer and rabbits have left us after their night visits, I approach the cucumbers and squash cautiously as not to agitate the bees and tick them off.  So far I've been pretty lucky to avoid being stung when reaching into the thicket of vines and sweet blossoms full of buzzing and commotion.  Sunday morning I returned from the garden bite-free after cutting kale, Swiss chard, and bee-swarming cucumbers.  The kale and chard were soaking in the kitchen sink to get the little insects off as I rinsed the cucumbers by hand.  From my right eye I spotted something coming at me.  Not swatting quickly enough, the black wasp lit on the tip on my nose and stung me.  The bite made my eyes water, my nose swell up, and turn red.  I have no allergies but asked Cliff to sit with me to make sure I didn't have any reactions.  I made him promise no Italian nose jokes.  Needles to say, that wasp will never sting another person. 


We are still enjoying the hummingbird antics.  Each year we notice they become more energetic and talkative by mid-July.  Cliff's been joining me on the porch each morning to view the acrobatic show that takes place as early as 6 AM. We now have 4-5 HBs entertaining us at their feeders and mid-air.
One will sit on Cliff's coax chirping and looking around until she/he sights another one, and then the chase begins.  (Red round objects are freshly picked tomatoes setting on porch rail.) 
This morning while enjoying the airshow, one hummer hovered inflight about two feet from Cliff's face with tail fanned and a scolding voice.  I make 4-5 cups of new nectar every couple of days to keep the feeders freshly filled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog