If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy.

September 18, 1988
 Dear Betsy,
         Lovely September morning.  The lawn and garden are wet and heavy with dew.  I had to walk across soaking wet grass to get carrots for our lentil soup.  The garden is about over. Your father and I have potatoes to dig and very few carrots left to use.  Don't know if there are beets among the weeds.  The peppers seemed to pick up after the heat left.  They love the sun and hot weather.  The zinnias and marigolds are beautiful.
         Have a lovely day and thank God for all the good stuff.
                                                                             much love, Mom
(paragraph from a letter written to me when we lived in Florida


My mother would have been 93 years young today.  The approaching weeks leading to her birthday make my heart heavy and I still find these days difficult.  So through reading her letters, visiting the garden, even if it's just to empty peelings into the compost pile, and making soups, I am comforted by her spirit.  Once her birthday arrives, a soothing calm returns.............and the refrigerator and freezer are full of soups!

Happy Birthday, Mom...........................

Comments

ralph said…
happy birthday, grammy. :) miss you.

Popular posts from this blog