Temperature this morning was 23 degrees at 7 AM  but we reached  a marvelous sunny 52 today.  Yesterday while Cliff was on the phone with his mother, he witnessed a bright red male cardinal fly into the living room French doors and land on the porch carpet.  We have bird alert decals on the windows but the decals only last 3-4 months and then new ones need to be put on the windows again.  We watched as the cardinal slowly got his wits about him and within 15 minutes he was hopping around and he flew away.  This afternoon I washed the outside windows with the Windex outside hose sprayer, let the windows dry, and applied new bird alert decals to the peak windows and the french doors.
You can understand why birds fly into windows as the reflection appears to be the sky to them.  The bird alerts do work.  During the spring and summer, no hummingbirds or other birds hit the windows.  It's so disturbing to hear the thump.............. and wait and see if the injured bird will fly away or die on your porch.  We're good now until the arrival of the HBs the first of April.  I'll put up new decals then.

Today my first seed catalog arrived from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds 2014.  Oh, my!  I'm still getting ready for Christmas but tonight I'll have to browse my new seed pages and try control myself!  Every time I walk down to the compost pile with the kitchen peelings, I stand at the edge of the garden and think about where the potatoes will go in March.  Only ten more days until the shortest daylight hours and it's uphill from there. 





Comments

ralph said…
love the pictures of the kids! especially olivia doing the riverdance! isn't she a hoot?!

Popular posts from this blog