Saturday's weather was just plain raw and miserable.  I don't think we got out of the 30's.  It drizzled, flurried snow, was dreary and grey all day.  With the muscle mass I've lost due to arthritis, I just couldn't get warm even wearing a sweater over a heavy turtle-neck.  A hot shower felt so good that night and a comforting hot water bottle slid between the sheets at the foot of the bed warmed my toes and lulled me to sleep.  Sunday's temperatures were in the 50's and today was just gorgeous with bright sun and temperatures reaching low 60's by mid-afternoon.

  Our early morning temperatures are about 28 degrees here on the mountain but once the sun comes up, the air warms up nicely.  Now that I'm back at the gym, I'm trying to build up some muscle again so I won't become a Popsicle this winter.  This afternoon I completely swept the back and front porch clean, for about the 4th time and leaves are still falling, and have a space ready for stacking our firewood.  Chimney and stove are clean and ready for the first burn.  November is mostly pleasant so we probably won't fire up the stove until December. 

Having vaulted ceilings with lots of peaked windows allows a small house to feel roomy.  The downside is the huge webs that form over time at the ceiling peaks.  You need a gorilla ladder to clean away the hanging webs.  Our living room, bedroom, and bathroom  have these high ceilings and we noticed mildew forming at the peak in the bathroom.  It's not easy to manipulate an open ladder in our bathroom, climb on top of closets and stand up to be able to reach the peaks.  Cliff tackled this task this afternoon while I cleaned off the porch.  The bathroom walls no longer have mildew and they sparkle.  What a nice feeling to look up and have no unwanted growth climbing the walls.

Time to sit back with a cup of tea and read some of my Robert B. Parker mysteries.  Almost finished reading Widow's Walk and then will start one of his novels about the Old West, Appaloosa.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog