The first basil seeds have sprouted and are absorbing sunshine on the window sill.  My seed order is ready to be sent to Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  Yesterday was chilly, a breezy high 40's.  Cliff fired up the chainsaw, took down one very tall tree that blocks my afternoon sun on the garden, and we thinned out some scraggly trees that needed to come down.  We have one more very large tall oak to take down, with our neighbor's help, before birds start looking for nesting real estate or the garden is planted.  Winter has been wonderfully mild.  Cold fronts last a couple of days and then back to high 40's to mid 50's.  Dozens of sparrows, or sparrels as my father called them, have invaded the feeders this winter wiping out seeds as fast as I fill the feeders.  Changing the type of seed I used hasn't solved the problem.  I don't mind feeding them but there are so many in the flock that they leave dropping everywhere and I'm afraid the excess droppings will infect other birds.

Our old cheap Sears vacuum is on its last legs, actually it's only about 6-7 years old.  Two years ago duct tape was placed on the worn-out hose and the plastic parts began breaking and falling on the floor.  There's more duct tape than there is original vacuum.  I dislike vacuums so had no interest in looking for another one.  Canisters bump into wall corners and furniture but I need the long hose to vacuum under the sofa and under the beds.  We talked about installing a central system but the tank would have to be placed in the damp crawl space.  So now I'm on a search for a new reliable vacuum.


Comments

ralph said…
spend the money and invest in a miele or a dyson. we have a miele. we bought it in 2001. i love it. we paid $500 bucks for it. it's lasted 14 years. i have it serviced once every 10 years...

Popular posts from this blog