According to my North Carolina growing guide, I can start certain vegetable seeds indoors under grow lights.  We've almost finished building the grow light frame and I found instructions online for DIY soil blocks.  A soil blocker maker costs around $30 or you could purchase dozens of small soil cubes for seed starting.  When I came across this easy plan, I thought of my father.  He would go down cellar and create devices from his  organized collection of saved "treasures."  One time he cut a tin can in half, screwed a small wooden knob on for a handle, and made my mother a gadget to use for chopping nuts or cutting round biscuits. 
This is my soil block maker made from a can with both ends open and one lid nailed to a handle for the plunger.  Using a good seed starter mix, you add just enough water to form a ball in your hand.  Fill the can about 3/4 full, on a tray, and compress the soil with the plunger.  Slowly lift the can with light pressure on the plunger and voila, and you're ready to start your seeds indoors. 
Using a pencil tip, gently make an indent in the moist soil, drop in two seeds, cover them with moist soil, and place the tray in the sun or under your grow light.  When the garden is warm enough, the whole soil block goes into the garden without interrupting the roots.  Three days ago I started Ragged Jack kale and gently watered the soil this morning.  The blocks held their shape without crumbling.  In about a week, I should see little kale plants emerging. 



Comments

ralph said…
i wonder if you could make your soil "block" and put the seed into it while it is still in the can, THEN plunge it from the can? it won't damage the seed, right? or use toilet paper rolls, cut into small-ish rings (2" tall?) to start seeds? the roll will eventually bio-degrade or can be easily removed when planting it in the ground. i'm going to have my kids make some of these tin can blockers.

Popular posts from this blog